Thursday, July 30, 2015

Gaila Says Farewell

I have worked for the City of Pocatello for twenty-five years. I started as an ISU practicum student in 1989 at the Pocatello Public Library and, after many years and a few promotions, I will be retiring from the position of Supervisor in the Reference Department at the end of July.

At different times I have worked in almost every department of the ‘library and I have also been able to be involved in the planning of programs, presentations, displays and library conferences.

I want to say now thank you, thank you, thank you! Working for Marshall Public Library has been a grand experience. I will miss all of you very much. When I first started working for the City of Pocatello in Oct of 1989, the library was named the Pocatello Public Library and was located on Clark Street. I have many wonderful memories at both locations and wonderful experiences such as watching the new library building being built, the moving of the collection from Clark Street to Garfield Avenue in 1994 and the changing of the name to the Marshall Public Library.

 Other memories include moving the books and shelving to install new carpet on both floors and of course inventorying the collection. It impresses me to be able to say I have touched almost every item in this library many times. I love books, I love libraries, and I love working with people who also love books and libraries. I never underestimate the power of knowledge and I have been privileged to work with some very knowledgeable people.

I am looking forward to this next phase of my life and have many plans and projects in mind to keep me busy. My biggest wish is to build upon my wonderful marriage and home life, to gain more knowledge and skills, and to be healthy and happy. And I plan to actually take time to read a few more good books. Thanks again to everyone.

 Gaila Butikofer, Reference Supervisor

Dubbed years ago by a patron “Gaila the Wonderful” for her dedication to her work, Gaila retires after more than 25 years of service to our public library. We will miss her knowledge and expertise as well as her sense of humor and wonderful laugh. Thank you for 25 great years, Gaila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment