Thursday, January 30, 2014

Meet Library Volunteer Jennye

What do you like most about Volunteering?

I want to tell you that working at the library is very exciting to me because I have never done it before. Thank you for asking me.

What brought you to the library to volunteer?

I used to work at the Flying J in McCammon. I used to bag French fries and roll up silverware for the customers and then Bang! I ended up losing my job, and then I started at the library.

What are your favorite books, authors, or subjects and why are they your favorites?

Do you really want to know? I am mostly interested in non-fiction, documentary, and educational books (especially architecture and astronomy). I do not have any favorite authors.

What do you like to do when you are not Volunteering?

After I am done volunteering I go up to the 2nd floor and spend most of my free time looking at books and I get a huge stack of books I like. The same goes with the videos and DVDs. I especially like to check them out because I really want to keep my father entertained. As soon as I finish watching DVDs with him, he is begging me to go back to the library and get some more.

Notes from Judy Minshall, Jennye’s mom

Jennye grew up and still lives in a house her family built between Inkom and McCammon along the Portneuf River. Growing up with no television the whole family learned to read, a lot! Since first grade, reading has been Jennye’s passion. Jennye worked at the Flying J for 11 years, till its closure. Jenny has experience with volunteering working with the Friends of the Marshall Public Library during its annual book sales and with St. Vincent De Paul filling Thanksgiving boxes and helping with clothing donations. Jennye has very eclectic taste when it comes to books. Over the years, she has studied everything from JFK to Roller Coasters. Jennye’s usual style is to browse and explore every book in a specific section; in this manner she has found many “treasures” including some that were essential to her dad when he wrote his book Wilderness Brothers. In the rest of her free time, Jennye enjoys taking care of the family’s chickens, working with Black Rock artist Margo Proksa in clay, studying the Bible, participating in Special Olympics, and reminding her parents of all the things they’ve forgotten to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment